Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Amalfi, Capri, Positano...oh my!

Ah, finally....internet! I'm sitting here in my new Florence apartment which I'll post about next....but for my friends & family back home, or any of you that have been following my journey, here's some photos of my trip to the Amalfi coast. It's quite long, but it's hard to condense when every single spot was gorgeous!


Four nights in Atrani, a tiny little town next to Amalfi. So close to Amalfi that all we had to do was walk up a few stairs, cross under a tunnel and voila! There was Amalfi. I was very pleased where we stayed because there weren't as many tourists (in fact I don't recall hearing any other language than Italian) and Atrani has so much character. Not to mention, the locals were very friendly. The beach was tiny, and super rocky (so if you have sensitive feet, beware), but the water was so refreshing and clear. To be honest, I have seen white sand beaches with turquoise waters in the Caribbean and Thailand, so it was a bit of an adjustment to the rocky beaches in the coast. Nevertheless, it was still a spectacular place to be. The restaurants were rustic and enjoyable. I even got to taste my first white wine loaded with fresh peaches. And how can you go wrong with fresh seafood every night?



view from our lovely hotel, Palazzo Ferraioli

view from the beach up to the streets, can you see our hotel?



my baby polpo!
Love seafood as much as I do? The best restaurant in Atrani (although we could only find maybe 5??) was A' Paranza. Great service, nice ambiance, and of course, the best scampi (prawn) risotto. I felt a little guilty eating a baby polpo (octopus), but it was super tasty (except I couldn't get over the fact that it was looking at me --its eyes stayed on the plate). 
















As for desserts, everywhere in the coast seemed to have the delizia al limone on their menu. A wonderful little lemon cakelet in the shape of a dome, completely covered with the most refreshing lemon-cream icing. I assume because they grow the most enormous lemons in the south that lemon desserts are a specialty. This dolce was perfect after a huge seafood meal. Fluffy, lightly creamy and tart. If only I could learn how to bake!



 
romantic Amalfi at night (photo doesn't do it justice!)



Capri was as beautiful and luxurious as everyone told me it was. Definitely a place to splurge and stay if you have the funds to do so. For us, just a short day trip by boat. The boat gave us a quick tour of the famous grotti (caves) in the island. It even passed under a tiny arch in a rock that was part of the Faraglioni Rocks (famous in Capri) called the "kissing arch", where all couples were asked to kiss on the boat. Cheesy? Nah. Endearing to see couples of different ages and nationalities smooching!

Faraglioni Rocks: see the tiny arch our big boat went through?







Arriving on the island in the morning, we had the perfect amount of time to lay out our towels on a beach full of smooth white rocks and turquoise waters.....









......to enjoy a mojito at a bar right beside La Piazzetta (Capri's main square) with the most spectacular view....
















.....to window shop at the most luxurious boutiques and shops (or watch the rich people shop!)....







 



....to discover the most amazing little pasticceria and enjoy our budget-conscious, yet freshly made lunch....









....and just to wander around the island getting lost in the pathways to homes of the locals and gorgeous gardens. No wonder we passed out so early that night! What a memorable little place.



We had to save the best for last. Positano, a quick half-hour drive from Amalfi. There were obviously more tourists there, but it was still as beautiful as every picture I had ever seen. Our hotel was right on the beach with the most amazing rooftop pool overlooking the famous Positano landscape and waters. I'm going to let the photos do most of the talking here.









mornings on the beach
view from the hotel pool, Covo dei Saraceni

sunset from our hotel terrazza

why is every church in Italia so incredibly beautiful?

I know Emanuele will be reading this, so I have to give him a million thank yous. Mille grazie tesoro mio! This was my dream trip for the last seven years and he made the entire thing come true. Ti amo tanto!

While the food was amazing, the views were breathtaking, the weather was gorgeous.....to be completely straight up, we were so exhausted! Lemme tell ya, 8 days of walking up and down those dang steps and crazy inclines on the streets wore us out! I don't even know how these Italian women strut their stuff in their 4-inch designer pumps without even flinching. Mine stayed in my luggage the entire vacation. So to reward ourselves? Take-out pizza and fries that were eaten yes, wearing our 'jammies in the hotel bed. Best meal so far, hands down.




Still missin' home!
xoT


3 comments:

  1. The Amalfi coast, I know it well, delighted to read you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing pictures!! my husband and i planning to go to Italy next summer too, and we'd like to visit the amalfi coast, we thought of staying 2 nights in Sorrento (last july,we spent few hours in Sorrento and we loved it, so we want to explore it more)2 nights in Capri, 2 nights in Positano.do u think its doable and how much did you pay, for how many nights?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Capri!
    I am hoping to go back in September when my sister and I head to Italy/France trip.
    I wish I had spent the night but I had to leave by 7:00 pm when the hydrofoil left back to Naples then a train to Rome. I really want to eat at Da Paolino with all the old lemon trees and the amazing food!
    Love pics!

    The Wanderfull Traveler

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...